UCBL FOOT ORTHOSIS USE AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS
The UCBL design was developed at the University of California-Berkeley Lab. It is a rigid, plastic arch support designed to correct the position of your foot. Because of that, the trim line in the foot and heel area is much higher than other arch supports.
Please read the following instructions for wearing the UCBL foot orthosis, and add any special instructions given to you by your physician or orthotist.
HOW TO USE YOUR UCBL FOOT ORTHOSIS
- Wear the foot orthosis in a lace-up type shoe that has enough room for both your foot and the orthosis to fit comfortably. If you have any questions about your shoe, ask your orthotist.
- Begin wearing the UCBl foot orthosis for about 1 hour at a time, then take it off for 20 – 30 minutes. Alternate time spent wearing the foot orthosis and resting your foot for the first few days. Allow your foot to get used to the foot orthosis gradually.
- Slowly increase your wearing time throughout the next several days.
- Check your foot for red pressure areas when you remove your foot orthosis. Any reddened area that does not fade after 20 minutes should be watched carefully. This is particularly important for patients who are diabetic or have poor sensation in their feet.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR UCBL FOOT ORTHOSIS
- Wash your feet daily.
- Wash the foot orthosis weekly using mild soap and water. Wipe the orthosis with rubbing alcohol to eliminate odors.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT YOUR UCBL FOOT ORTHOSIS
It is VERY important to keep any follow-up appointments made by your orthotist. We are here to help you and make your experience with Norell as pleasant as possible.
For questions or to schedule an appointment, call Norell at 510-770-9010. We look forward to working with you!