Prosthetic Liner Care
Proper hygiene is extremely important when using any liner. The liner must be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day of wear and disinfected once each week.
1. With the gel side of the liner facing out, clean the liner thoroughly with lukewarm tap water and the same soap that you wash your body with. (Skin irritation and breakdown can happen if using two different soaps) Apply the soap with a clean, soft cloth or sponge.
NOTE: Do not SCRUB the liner. Scrubbing can roughen the surface of the liner, which can then irritate the skin.
2. Rinse ALL the soap residue from the liner with water.
3. Dry the liner with a clean, lint-free cloth.
4. Place the liner, FABRIC SIDE OUT, either inside your socket, on a towel rack or on a cool dry flat area.
1. Place a small amount of ethyl or isopropyl alcohol on a soft, clean cloth. Lightly wipe the gel side of the liner with the cloth for two minutes.
2. Rinse the alcohol from the liner with water.
3. Place the liner, FABRIC SIDE OUT, inside your socket, on towel rack or on a flat cool dry surface.
NOTE: Do not soak the liner in the ethyl or isopropyl alcohol. Extended contact with large amounts of ethyl or isopropyl alcohol will stiffen the liner.
If you engage in an activity that could result in excessive perspiration, periodically remove the liner and dry off the liner and residual limb to prevent slippage of the liner on the limb.