Body Jacket Care
A Body Jacket is a custom molded plastic brace designed to protect, stabilize and limit motion in your spine and torso.
HOW TO USE YOUR BODY JACKET
- Wear a snug fitting cotton tee shirt under your Body Jacket; it will absorb perspiration, protect your skin and keep your Body Jacket clean.
- Wear your Body Jacket in the correct place. There is usually an indented area inside your Body Jacket. The indented area fits into your waist just above your hip bones. Use this as a guide to help you position your body jacket correctly. Wear the Body Jacket as snugly as possible; this will provide the most support to your spine and torso.
- Spinal orthoses have a tendency to “ride up” on your body as the day progresses(when you sit your hips tend to become wider and push the Body Jacket up). You will need to readjust your Body Jacket throughout the day to ensure proper positioning.
- When you remove your Body Jacket, check your skin for any red pressure areas. Any reddened area that does not fade after 20 minutes should be watched carefully. This is especially important if you are diabetic or have poor sensation.
- Your physician will tell you if you need to wear your Body Jacket full time or only when you are not lying flat in bed. Ask your physician when you should wear your Body Jacket, and follow those instructions carefully.
- Do not become discouraged if you feel an adjustment is needed. This is not unusual. A minor adjustment might be needed to ensure a good fit. Call your orthotist to discuss this.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR BODY JACKET
- Clean your Body Jacket at least once a week with a mild soap, and rinse well to remove soap residue.
- If you have a removable liner, follow the washing instructions on the tag sewn into the liner or ask your orthotist for directions.
IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT YOUR BODY JACKET
It is VERY important to keep any follow-up appointments made by your orthotist. We are here to help you and make your experience with Norell as pleasant as possible.
For questions or to schedule an appointment, call Norell at 510-770-9010. We look forward to working with you!